flexible data management, high data availability and optimum performance
Respond quickly to your changing business and data storage needs
with advanced file system (AdvFS) and AdvFS utilities software. An
array of on-line maintenance, performance, and reconfiguration options
ensure your data is available when and where you need it.
Included with your Tru64 UNIX operating system, advanced file system
provides a range of features designed to increase system administrator
and end-user productivity. Its advanced architecture takes full advantage
of symmetric multiprocessing, for optimum performance, while optional
AdvFs utilities software increases your configuration flexibility.
Advanced file system benefits
- Reboot in seconds - no matter how large the file system, transaction
journaling ensures quick recovery from unexpected events, such as
- Flexible configuration - Volumes can be a single disk partition,
an entire disk, or an aggregated volume. Multiple filesets can share
a common pool of storage.
- Mirroring for availability - Supports Compaq Logical Storage Manager
software, so you can create and monitor mirrored volumes
Advanced file system utilities benefits
- Reconfigure online - Lets you transparently reconfigure file systems
without disrupting users or applications.
- Reconfigure to meet your needs - You can add and remove volumes
as needed. When you remove a volume, AdvFS automatically migrates
files to remaining volumes without interruptions.
Advanced file system utilities
The advanced file system utilities delivers tools for capacity expansion
and management tasks. By providing your application environment with
an available file system during backup, reconfiguration and re-sizing
operations, the advanced file system utilities contribute directly
to reducing system management costs.
- Easy-to-use menus, alert icons, and status information, with comprehensive
online help gets you up to speed in no time.
- You can conveniently start-up layered applications without leaving
- Trashcans let users recover files they've accidentally deleted.
Nondisruptive, online maintenance
- Alert icons indicates potential trouble and lets you resolve issues
before they become problems.
- Create a read-only snapshot clone of the fileset online, while
users and applications access the original fileset.
- Backup the clone at your convenience, using AdvFS backup services
or other backup products.
Flexible reconfiguration - on the fly
- Data remains online for use while you add and remove files, defragment
files, and balance space usage.
- You have complete control over the logical structure of file systems
and allocation of storage volumes.
Fine-tune for performance
- Improve file access time by defragmenting files that have been
stored in noncontinuous portions across the storage media.
- Assign frequently accessed files to high-performance volumes.
- Balance free feature that balance free space among volumes and
spread the I/O load among multiple disks to achieve faster i/o.
- Improve read/write performance by striping (large or frequently
accessed files) across multiple volumes.
For more information on advanced file system utilities, please contact